Friday, May 05, 2006

A bit syrupy sweet - I warned you!

My husband loves me so much. That sounds trite, but it's true. I have been blown away in the last year to find out again and again how much he really loves me.

We officially fell in love when I was 17 and he was 19. Actually, we first said those eagerly-anticipated words at my 18th birthday party. One of the risks with marrying young is that it can be easy to let some things stay immature, rather than forcing all parts of yourself and your relationship to grow up. I think that somewhere along the way, Steve's loved matured and grew up, but I didn't really recognize it. Actually, it's a bit of a coincidence to be learning this NOW. This month is the 10 year anniversary of when we met. I have pictures of us on the day we met. We've changed a lot (when did that happen??) since then. I suppose our love has too.

Steve has noticed my weight-induced despair and is being so wonderful. He always is, but this time it's a little different. In the past, he would give me a "look" if I started eating something I shouldn't or ask if I was REALLY sure I wanted to be eating that. He was supportive in ways that I knew were well-intentioned, but not always the most helpful, and sometimes hurtful. Afterall, sometimes these methods of encouragement would be followed that night with pressure to have Red Robin for dinner.

For some reason, it's different now. We have made a new commitment to eat dinner at home most nights. Mostly this was for budgetary reasons, although Steve noted that this should help as well. So far, he's been super great about following the menu plan, and keeping me on it too. No Red Robin pressure on an at-home night. None. I claim that one as LOVE.

Last night, sometime between 9:30-10:00 when we should have been thinking about bedtime, Steve thought we should go for a walk. I was surprised - it was so late! Rather than just reminding me that I'm failing at going to the gym, he invited me to walk with him. It was a great, long walk. I loved it!

New love loved me in spite of my weaknesses. Mature love loves me in my weakness, and tries to add strength where I am weak.



Hey you (I know you read this!) - I LOVE YOU!!!

No comments: