Wednesday, February 22, 2006

And the gold goes to the treadmill!

Today, while I was on the treadmill, I had a moment where I was so proud of myself. I smiled in satisfaction at my achievement (more to come on that). For some reason, I was inspired to share my story in a blog.

As for the name of my blog (New Day, New Me)... I have spent the last several years (well, maybe 5 years) going through an array of experiences that challenge my self-perception. I'm at a point now where I sort of enjoy doing things that challenge my self-perception. Most of the time, I find myself doing something...and in the middle of it all, I realize that this is something "I" would NEVER do. Yahoo! I LOVE that.

A snippet about me... About 5-6 years ago, I got to my highest weight (about 155 at 5'3"). I was really unhealthy and much too big for my small frame. Over the next few years, I lost a bunch of it... almost 30 pounds. Over the last bunch of months, I've gained back about 12 pounds and I'm currently DESPERATE to stop this train and get it going the other way again. I'm actually really freaked out about it. Anyway...that's the short version of the weight-loss drama.

Today I did something I've never done - ever. For some reason (ok, I think it's due to too much Cadbury chocolate that is in the stores for Easter and not drinking enough water), I have had a painful headache for most of the last two days. I'm not prone to headaches at all (which means I'm a big headache baby) and I think this is the longest lasting headache I can remember ever having. Today I had a terrible day at work and as the afternoon continued, my headache got louder and louder. Ugh. I just wanted to go to bed. BUT, I'm desperate to stop my weight gain train and turn around. It needs to go DOWN. Really - this is not ok. Typically, I'm a morning workout gal, but have been unsuccessful at that lately (definitely linked to the lack of weight loss). I brought my gym bag to work today hoping to workout on the way home. So there's my internal debate. Gym bag vs. headache. Pounding headache. Flabby tummy. Ugh... I convinced myself to just go to the gym and at least just walk on the treadmill. Even if my head pounds too much to do anything else, I can at least walk. Just GO. And I did. As I alternated between walking and jogging, my headache mildly pounding away, my music drowning out my headache, I realized I had done something I had never done before. I have never worked out through a headache or other injury. Never. "I" would always just go home and decide to workout tomorrow.

So, today is a new day. Today, I learned that the new me chooses treadmill over headache. To go with it, I decided to start a blog and share my "new me" discoveries with others. The new me has a blog. Ha ha ha. I really do love that.

No comments: