Thursday, April 06, 2006

But I'm home now

I'm back home. I didn't miss home too terribly much until I got home. I don't get my dog back until tomorrow night and I really miss my dog.

There's a song by Dido called "Sand in my Shoes" and I love the lyrics. Part of it goes "Two weeks away it feels like the world should've changed / But I'm home now / And things still look the same..." I was gone for two and a half weeks. My life changed and I assume that everything changed. It seems like so much longer than just a couple weeks. I love traveling in late March though because so much happens with our plants here right at that time that when I come home after only being gone for 2.5 weeks, everything really has changed. When I left, it still looked like winter outside. It was cold and rainy, and all the trees were still bare. When I returned it was sunny and warm. The daffodils are up and the trees are pink and flowery. I love it. I love going away on a trip where I feel like I grow personally, and when I come home, everything around me is growing. It makes me feel like they are growing and flowering just for me.

I hated leaving India. I really didn't miss home at that moment. I was excited to see Steve in London, but I really didn't want to leave. Part of it may have been that I don't know when or if I'll ever get to go back and see some of my friends again. I could barely hold back the tears as I said goodbye to everyone.

London was awesome. I love that city. I went to St. Paul's for the first time and was amazed. It was so heavenly. It makes me really amazed as I wonder what heaven will really be like. If humans a thousand years ago were able to dream up Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's cathedral AND build them, I can't even fathom how beautiful heaven will be.

I always figured that monks were always short plump men who were pretty out of shape. However, the monks in charge of going up all the stairs at St. Paul's could not have been too plump or out of shape at all. It is quite a work out! I wondered how many people over the years have died or had a heart attack on those stairs.

Two weeks away it feels like the world should've changed, but I'm home now... and went jogging yesterday and today. I really have 14 pounds I need to lose. I managed to not gain or lose an ounce during my trip, which I'm really satisfied with (given all the pastries and yummies I consumed in London!), but I'm still at a point of needing to shrink a bit. I hate how I look right now. I'd be happy with my size if I had children already and were 40 or 50 years old, but I'm not. This will not do.

No comments: